Sometimes you find that an ‘automatic update’ download for QuickBooks Desktop failed to install, you encounter an error during or following the update process or an update appearing to install didn’t advance to the correct release number.
You also can have update failures if you have the same “year version” of different QuickBooks products installed on the same computer.
If you encounter any of these situations, you can try the procedures set forth below to update your QuickBooks version.
Reattempt Downloading the Update through QuickBooks
(1) Go to Help and select Update QuickBooks Desktop
(2) Select Update Now
(3) Choose Get Updates
(4) After the Update downloads, close QuickBooks
(5) Reopen QuickBooks to install the update again
If the release number doesn’t advance to the correct update, or if an “Error” is reported under status for any of the individual update components, try the following:
End all QuickBooks related Tasks and attempt reinstall
(1) Close QuickBooks
(2) On the Windows’s taskbar Right-click, select Task Manager
(3) Under the details tab, look for the following background processes to select and End task for each
- QBW32.exe or QBW.exe
- QBDBMgr.exe or QBDBMgrN.exe
(4) Right-click on the QuickBooks shortcut and select Run as administrator
(5) Run the update again
(6) Be sure to close and reopen QuickBooks
If the release number still doesn’t advance to the correct update, or if the “Error” persists under Status for any of the individual update components, try the following:
Download the Update Manually
Database Server Manager is a part of the QuickBooks Desktop file.
(1) Make sure QuickBooks is closed
(2) Download and update QuickBooks Desktop
(3) When the Downloads and Updates page opens, select the proper “Standard Setup” for your version
- Country (USA or Canada)
- QuickBooks Product (Pro, Premier, Enterprise)
- Year version (23 = 2023)
(3) When the “Here’s your product” page is displayed, select the “Get the latest updates” (link) where it says, “Already Downloaded” (shown below)
(4) Instantly the latest update will download to normally your Downloads directory of windows, it likely will show at the very bottom of the “Here’s your product” screen as download in progress or download completed
(5) Click on the downloaded “qbwebpatch.exe”, the one shown here is for Enterprise, yours may be slightly different
(6) Follow the on-screen instructions for installation
(7) When completed open QuickBooks and ensure your product is at the latest product release
(8) If an error persists, you’re going to need to contact QuickBooks Desktop Customer Support:
- Inside of QuickBooks Desktop, go to Help, then select QuickBooks Desktop Help/Contact Us
- Select Contact Us
- Give a brief description of your issue, then select Continue
- Sign in to your Intuit account and select Continue, and then Continue with my account
- If you don’t already have an account, make sure to Create a new account
- We’ll email you a single use code; enter your code and select Continue
- If you have more than one account, select the account you want to use and then Continue
- Select to chat with us or Have us call you
- If you are unable to access QuickBooks, or you aren’t interested in in-product support, you still can call QuickBooks Support at 800-446-8848
Like what you’re reading?
Subscribe to our FREE newsletter and we’ll deliver content like this directly to your inbox.